Saturday, December 27, 2014

The woman who mistook a man for wings

I had a guardian angel once -
the thorough thing, halo and wings,
- who would show up at my window
at the faintest mention of his name,
I thought. He did. He can't be seen
in many of my photographs, but he
is the reason I fear to forget
we grow up fast, feet and legs,
when you look further, men are just men.


(This is the story of the first man who left. Written for Play it Again #12 over at the Imaginary Garden. I went with Fireblossom's call for angel poems, the title is a reference to this great book written by neurologist Oliver Sacks: The man who mistook his wife for a hat. There's all kinds of crazy I guess.) 

10 comments:

  1. Kenia, I love this. The process notes only added to its cleverness. The final line slayed me. Absolutely. Love, and sorry I have been away. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes this was a very special angel... I guess there are such ones who never stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Björn. But I had to grow up to learn that.

      Delete
  3. I have had the exact experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is something other-worldly about the person one falls in love with. Over time, they may lose their wings and humanize though.

    I like the way you have phrased these thoughts. Excellent final sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have dealt with him becoming a man, because I am and have always been nothing but a woman. What I still find hard to take is the departure.

      Eventually everyone will part. I learn slowly.

      Delete
  5. I learned a long time ago that we an only trust in ourselves to make the right decisions. It is great to ask someone for advice, but in the end it is up to us to make the final say. People are just going to be human whether they are male or female.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But there are those people who mean so much to us … I think it is almost human nature to put wings on a few. Yes, most do fly away and even those that don't, I think the wings eventually come off - and that is most likely of the best. Lovely, awesome poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yup! And women are just women I suppose. I enjoyed reading your piece.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. is it true that men want to be right, and women understood? then, what of angels? ~

    ReplyDelete