Thursday, September 25, 2014

Close to heart

My grandmother had a strategy
to remember anything -
she stashed things in her bra:

her ID card,
money,
shopping lists,

general notes,
bus tickets,
handkerchiefs,

a black and white photo of grandpa
in his wedding suit,
'what a rare man he was'. 

As I look for a safe place
to keep my favorite thought of you,
she comes back to my mind

gathering blackberries in the yard,
lost in conversations with the memory
of the man she loved always close to heart.

5 comments:

  1. No other place for the love of one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisit poem. Love the grandmother and how she comes to mind when thinking of the love of one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kenia
    This is wonderful. It reminded me of my grandmother, and made me smile wistfully.
    Just a little note: maybe you want to say "in his wedding suit" instead of "on"?
    K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10/21/2014

    I don't know if my grandmother ever found any man worthy of placing his memento close to her heart... ~

    ReplyDelete