Sunday, March 23, 2014

The liar paradox

Maybe that's because
you still visit my mind
when I am alone.

I think of how often
I would pass up my plans
to rest a song in your arms.

No one, no stranger 
would take notice of my 
absolute sense of emptiness.



“I'm very scared, Buster. Yes, at last. Because it could go on forever. Not knowing what's yours until you've thrown it away.” 
Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's

-----

(Written for Margaret Bednar's Play it again challenge on The Imaginary Garden. My pick was #2 Kerry's challenge to write a poem inspired by a quote from Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's. The title is a reference to the line 'this sentence is false' in Gödel's first incompleteness theorem.)

8 comments:

  1. To fill the emptiness with emptiness... but still look full to the brim for the world... yes that would be living a liar's life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent take on the quote. And it also seems a follow up to some of your recent poems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an amazing ability to turn profound thoughts into poetry - somehow you find exactly the right way to phrase each line. Your quote is so central to my memory of Breakfast at Tiffany's, which made me aware of just how incautious some people can be when it comes to caring for the things/people they love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kerry on both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing title and play on the paradox ~ I don't know if anyone can feel the absolute sense of loneliness ~ Happy Sunday Kenia ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. whew. I must just raise my glass to what Kerry wrote! Truly, I wish I could write with such connection to the heart strings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "visit my mind"...I never thought of it that way. That's wonderful. Your poem is wonderful but those three words stand out.
    Luv, K

    ReplyDelete
  8. Th way I read that line...it's that you are actually the "song" "to rest a song in your arms." ...I like the way that feels/looks to me...I don't know if it's meant to be that way...

    Any way...

    I love your poem, Kenia! ♥

    ReplyDelete